View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 283,760
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Red Abyssinian Ensete Maurelii on pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
I can say That Ensete Maurelii outpaces all of my Musa in terms of hardiness and growth (emerging even earlier than Basjoo). They do seem to have a ceiling though. Maurelii is the first plant to emerge here in the spring and gets at least 6 leaves on it before the Musa emerge.
Ensete Glaucum does well without any mulch here in zone 8a.
I can't say about E.ventricosum because mine went from seed to bloom in a few months. They bloomed at 6' and were very large plants. I suspect that these were Superbum that were mislabled though.

This year, I have many Maurelii plantlets and Ventricosum seedlings that will be left out to test the hardiness of the smaller plants.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you on your test if you do well then next year I'm going to leave min out here in zone 9 and for my Ensete growing slowly its probably do to the fact i have to protect them from the sun here they only get 3hr of sun a day and still burn around the edges a bit so that mite be the answer how ever several people told me EV grow slow so i don't know for sure could also be that mine are so young and really only got out side about a month ago plus i repotted them I'm sure they are growing roots like crazy! but with a mature hight of 20 ft and a life expectancy of 5 years they can't grow that fast compared to Musa

ps did you take any pics of the EV we can certainly ascertain there identity if we had a any

pss i thought of this after the fact so I'm posting just to help maybe it will give you an idea if yours were mis-marked

EV notes the shortish stout looking stature with a marked swelling of the base of the stem this is typical of EV's also but not always the red mid ribs and vary long leaves
as apposed to the ultra short and highly thick trunk of the superbum
with its much shorter mature hight of only 12 to 16 ft verses 20ft for the EV

this is not the best picture to compare as they are obviously of vary different ages but you can clearly see the difference in the foliage and the significant differences in the thickens of the superbum how it hugs the ground although you cant see the trunk in the last picture its vary thick all the way up to the point of leaf emergence

Last edited by damaclese : 09-28-2008 at 11:11 AM.
damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Said thanks: