Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Aloe Dawei

I have this plant growing in the shade or filtered shade here in Central Texas. It has lived happily through the summer . I protected plant last winter. My question is, can this plant take a lot of sun or is it more like A maculata in its preferences. What are its water tolerances when cold. I am in Zone 8b. Most winters we are above 20 degrees. last winter low was 26, but it was a warm winter.

Comments (4)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Aloe dawei - a fine shrub Aloe! Even though TX sun is different than SD sun, I would imagine it will grow fine in more sun.

It coloured up nicely as other Aloes do when there's more sun, and no doubt if I had watered it less in summer there would be even been a greater redness.

Since it appears to pup for you quite easily you can establish two colonies! It really should be grown more than it is, don't you think?

{{gwi:681680}}

I'd keep them on the dry side in the winter - they don't like cold and wet feet.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

It is from Ugunda, I have three books and none of them are Aloe from Ugunda, It grows in grasslands and thickets. It is the only clue that I could find. It doesn't say how low the temps. it may tolerate. Without the name I could not even begin to look it up. Ugunda is inland but on the Equator. So it loves the heat. I don't how cold it could possibly get on the Equator, but it sure gets a lot of rain. If you get chilly at night I would certainly give it protection especially at night after midnight. Norma

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

I figured I'd do some pithy reading on Uganda, and I thought this might be of some help:

"Although generally equatorial, the climate is not uniform as the altitude modifies the climate. Southern Uganda is wetter with rain generally spread throughout the year. At Entebbe on the northern shore of Lake Victoria, most rain falls from March to June and the November/December period. Further to the north a dry season gradually emerges; at Gulu about 120 km from the Sudanese border, November to February is much drier than the rest of the year. The northeastern Karamoja region has the driest climate and is prone to droughts in some years. Rwenzori in the southwest on the border with Congo (DRC) receives heavy rain all year round. The south of the country is heavily influenced by one of the world's biggest lakes, Lake Victoria, which contains many islands. It prevents temperatures from varying significantly and increases cloudiness and rainfall. Most important cities are located in the south, near Lake Victoria, including the capital Kampala and the nearby city of Entebbe."

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Uganda - wikipedia

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have grown it under trees because that is also protected from freeze a bit. I have one small cutting that I rooted. It has clumped from the stem. Maybe I will move it out farther towards the sun next year. It is very interesting the differences between these two plants. I am careful about moving aloes into the Texas sun because I have killed more Aloe maculata before I realized they do like part shade and NO western Texas summer sun. The amount of sun really changes how the plant grows. I was amazed.