Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Rosebud Salvia - Salvia involucrata

manature
15 years ago

Anyone growing this beautiful salvia? I picked up one Friday from Seminole Springs Nursery, and after looking at some photos online, I'm excited to try it. I'm really done with my garden until cooler weather, but I will put it in a larger pot until then. (I can go out first thing and water my containers, but I'm not up for digging in this heat.)

This is apparently a real hummingbird magnet, in addition to being so pretty. Any info you guys have would be much appreciated, thanks!

Marcia

Comments (8)

• ariel73
    15 years ago

I have admired that salvia from afar because I heard they do not like our humidity. But that being said it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

I really hope it does well for you because I would really like to have one in my garden.

A salvia that I really like is Salvia iodantha Baton Rouge. It is a pink salvia that is a great bloomer. It has been great in my garden. Maybe we could root some cuttings and trade?

Those pictures you posted are beautiful. Are they from your garden? I love the pink and blue combination

• manature
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, boy...I WISH those pics came from my garden. I just bought the plant and it is only two stems and not blooming yet. Sometimes the humidity thing is really bad, and sometimes you an get away with stuff for awhile. Even if I grew it as an annual, I wouldn't be disappointed. It is stunning!

When it gets bigger, I will root some cuttings, and I will also see if I can collect seed. I'll be glad to share with you. I'm going to go look up Baton Rouge. Not familiar with it. But I never met a salvia I didn't like, so I'm sure we can work out a trade.

Marcia

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

I had one, purchased at a native plant nursery (dunno which, not SS). It sat and did very little for about a year except get smaller. Then I moved and moved it with me and now I don't think it's alive anymore.

Maybe it was the heat and humidity. I love salvias greatly and have a tough time with them flourishing (that's an interesting word isn't it, meaning flower-ish?)

Wishing you luck getting a big plant going.

• manature
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I have pretty good luck with some salvias and not so much with others. But I like to try and see which ones might work for me. I have great luck with s. guaranitica "Black & Blue," and "Purple Majesty." Also, s. coccinea, both the red and the coral nymph. Salvia leucantha does very well, and so does van houteyii (spelling?). Forsythia sage is a good one for here, and greggii has done well for me in the past. Salvia patens was beautiful for one season, then croaked, but it was worth growing as an annual for the very large flowers of intense blue.

I'm hoping I can keep involucrata going for awhile, but as long as it lives long enough to bloom for one season, I'll be happy.

Marcia

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

I have killed pink salvias, pink and white salvias, white salvias, blue salvias, black and blue salvias, purple salvias,red salvias, red and white salvias....well you get it.
    I sense a pattern. I am....the salvia killer. "sigh"

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    15 years ago

i grow about 10 salvias in my garden... they're fast becoming my favorites. perennial salvias are the way to go... i'll second marcia's rec on the forsythia -- it's such a great addition to the fall garden, when little else is coming into bloom. anthony parker's vigorous and trouble free. i steer clear of 'indigo spires' as it gets too big and floppy.

others that do well for me...
    Salvia chamaedryoides
    Salvia greggii 'Big Pink'
    Salvia greggii 'Pink Preference'
    Salvia farinacea 'Augusta Duelberg'

marcia, we're doing a salvia swap sometime, right?

• manature
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Love to, Michael, but it might have to be in the fall. I'm having my foot surgery (finally) a week from Friday, and I will be out of commission pretty much throughout August. I just hope my salvia (and everything else) survives while I'm recuperating.

I have a new Anthony Parker from Nicki, too, that I need to put in the ground. Might try to do that tomorrow before it gets too hot outside. Heck, it's going to be too hot as soon as I get up. It's too hot out there right now, at 10:30PM!! I just took the dogs out and coudln't WAIT to get back inside.

Michael, this Rosebud salvia is too small to do much cutting on yet, but if you want to see how they do in your area, Tracy had several at Seminole Springs as of last Friday. Check it out!

Marcia

• ariel73
    15 years ago

Oh boy, you all have got me looking up salvias!
    I LOVE salvias!
    Off the top of my head I have-
    Salvia limelight
    salvia black and blue
    salvia coral nymph
    salvia hot lips
    Salvia elegans- pineapple sage)
    salvia marchino cherry
    salvia forsythia
    salvia mexicana blue?
    salvia coccinea- white
    Salvia leucantha
    salvia dancing flames
    salvia van houttii- burgandy and purple (but they look almost the same to me)
    Salvia iodantha Baton Rouge
    salvia miniata
    Salvia uliginosa (bog sage)
    I know I have a few more but thats all I can think of at the moment.
    Can you tell I like salvias? I think right now my favorite plants in my garden are salvias and coleus.
    Ahh yes, coleus....but that would need to be in another thread.

I would love to trade for salvias I don't have. I would be happy to start rooting some if anyone is interested.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus