IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cassia fistula cold hardiness

SubTropicRay

What is the minimum temperature for Cassia fistula before damage becomes apparent?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray,

Younger specimens are more tender and show damage around 30F. More mature trees can take 26-27F. Ours is flowering now.

img_1469.jpg

img_1364.jpg

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, do you guys keep this on the dry side in the winter like a Delonix or Colvillea?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I think they bloom better if kept on the dry side. Ours isn't, its in a section that gets regular irrigation.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 years later...

Eric,

How did this tree fair after the last two winters?

Thanks,

Ray

Eric,

How did this tree fair after the last two winters?

Thanks,

Ray

Ours had no damage the past 2 winters, didn't even have leaves damaged. I have seen a few others around town with damage, dieback from a few inches to about a foot. They are hardier than a royal poinciana but slightly less hardy than a jacaranda, from my observations.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

If it can survive the last two winters, I think it's a reliable, long term plant for central Florida.

Cassia leptophylla, Gold Medallion Tree, is hardier. They tolerate into the mid 20s with no damage. They are common in SoCa but not common in Florida. Disney has grown them at the parks since the 1980's. Its a nice smaller tree.

Here is one at EPCOT

8508.jpg

and one here at Leu Gardens

3c14.jpg

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Speaking of Epcot, I was there Saturday for the Flower and Garden Festival and got up on stage with Tom MacCubbin.

I had no idea Erythrina crista-galli was cold hardy. There's a big one at the Polynesian Resort also.

Erythrina crista-galli is also hardy into the mid 20sF, maybe lower 20sF. I have heard of it being grown in NoFL as a dieback perennial.

There was an old one here at Leu Gardens that survived the 80's freezes with only minor/moderate limb damage.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Cassia leptophylla, Gold Medallion Tree, is hardier. They tolerate into the mid 20s with no damage. They are common in SoCa but not common in Florida. Disney has grown them at the parks since the 1980's. Its a nice smaller tree.

Cassia leptophylla is really the only truly reliable and readily available species for SoCal. Cassia angolensis, C. brewsteri are well-adapted, but basically unavailable. Most others from humid-tropical regions (C. fistula, C. grandis, C. bakeriana, C. javanica, others) are really for collectors in CA who put in the extra effort to grow them. Don't look for C. fistula to replace C. leptophylla as a street tree around Disneyland anytime soon...

And I'm still hoping to figure out the limiting factor of success of C. leptophylla in South Florida before I die. As much as I love the tree, I found it to be a rather pathetic performer from Palm Beach Co southward. Not sure if it's the alkalinity (though foliage color seemed normal) or the higher night temps at more southerly locales or???

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"