IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana x alexandrae

pietropuccio

Allebang, or Bangaler?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

5 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Ramenta and wax together?

Yes, silvery white scales and ramenta.

- Tyrone, ??

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

Here’s my Happy Hurricane Hybrid, planted in July of 2003.

I’m just barely able to get it all in one picture.

It’s about 30-35 feet (10-12 M) tall.

3C69F667-1C02-4828-8C9A-EC09A8EB969F.thu

• Upvote 8

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Allebang, or Bangaler?

Maybe cunnalex? Or bangatriciae?

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

21 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s my Happy Hurricane Hybrid, planted in July of 2003.

I’m just barely able to get it all in one picture.

It’s about 30-35 feet (10-12 M) tall.

3C69F667-1C02-4828-8C9A-EC09A8EB969F.thu

He's standing proud and tall. Is that a Dypsis leptochelios to the right and behind?

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

2 hours ago, Walt said:

He's standing proud and tall. Is that a Dypsis leptochelios to the right and behind?

Yes it is!

Come visit if you're ever out here and feast your eyes!

21 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Or picander.

Hmm. Imagine other Archie hybrids: tuckerbeat, bangatucker, banga-peach . . . .

Sounds like opening acts for Katy Perry or Janet Jackson.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm. Imagine other Archie hybrids: tuckerbeat, bangatucker, banga-peach . . . .

Sounds like opening acts for Katy Perry or Janet Jackson.

I think you find the names more interesting (:yay:) than the hybird palms (:indifferent:) Dave!   ;)  Perhaps a different standard might be appropriate for hybridizing?

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

17 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Yes it is!

Come visit if you're ever out here and feast your eyes!

Ha ha! I remember when you made your trip to Florida. I was going to ask you to try and swing by, but I had a very bad cold or flu at the time. I remember you saying here on palm talk you drove through Labelle and didn't see any royal palms.  But there are some very old royal palms there (but nothing to write home about), I know where they are as I drive through Labelle often.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7684884,-81.4361636,3a,75y,64.29h,115.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9npggsfByrD9-Xy2CcZeug!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7655037,-81.4374355,3a,54.9y,317.63h,103.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_WuOrHU_MrkglMFyro-rLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7668701,-81.4335452,3a,82.7y,282.68h,119.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYJ9pXFRH3Oxofi7T8QgCiQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

16 minutes ago, Walt said:

Ha ha! I remember when you made your trip to Florida. I was going to ask you to try and swing by, but I had a very bad cold or flu at the time. I remember you saying here on palm talk you drove through Labelle and didn't see any royal palms.  But there are some very old royal palms there (but nothing to write home about), I know where they are as I drive through Labelle often.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7684884,-81.4361636,3a,75y,64.29h,115.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9npggsfByrD9-Xy2CcZeug!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7655037,-81.4374355,3a,54.9y,317.63h,103.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_WuOrHU_MrkglMFyro-rLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7668701,-81.4335452,3a,82.7y,282.68h,119.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYJ9pXFRH3Oxofi7T8QgCiQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

WHOA, big horse!

If I said there weren't Royals in La Belle, it must have been before I actually drove through there. I remember that park, with the banyans and guys playing dominoes under it. Guess I just didn't look up high enough. :rolleyes:

On 8/19/2018, 2:34:20, pietropuccio said:

A spontaneous hybrid

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana x alexandrae.jpg

Nice to meet you and welcome to Palm Talk!

That's a nice little baby you have there! Sorry if it looked like I hi-jacked your thread.

As you can tell from my pictures, it won't stay little for long.

A couple of other details, at least about my plant, that might also apply to yours. If you have silver on the reverse, plus purple flowers (you'll find out soon enough), then you have have a cunninghamiana / alex. If you do, then it's likely to produce mountains of seed, most of which won't grow. At least mine does.

Also, see my PM (private message).

Welcome again to Palm Talk and show us your garden, and Palermo, too.

6 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

If you have silver on the reverse, plus purple flowers (you'll find out soon enough), then you have have a cunninghamiana / alex.

The hybrid is located right at the base of two Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, some meters away from alexandrae, therefore, I believe that this is exactly cunninghamiana x alexandrae.

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

WHOA, big horse!

If I said there weren't Royals in La Belle, it must have been before I actually drove through there. I remember that park, with the banyans and guys playing dominoes under it. Guess I just didn't look up high enough. :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, I know you never said there weren't any royal palms in Labelle. I thought you said you didn't see any as you drove through the small town. I don't think there are any royal palms along Rt. 80 through Labelle.  As I recall, and dang, you must have taken that trip well over 5 years ago, maybe 10, so my memory is now vague. What I seem to recall is that you had expectations of seeing many royal palms in Labelle, and either you didn't see any or saw much less that you expected to see. And there aren't that many royal palms to see in Labelle. I recall you were posting frequently about your travels throughout Florida.

I didn't know you stopped at that little park near the draw bridge that crosses the Caloosahatchee River. The first time I ever crossed that bridge (coming in to Labelle from the north), I glanced to my right and saw many tall old royal palm crowns. It was like a magnet to me and I immediately drove over there to them. The royals partially line a short dead end road, which you could drive down, but some years ago the road was blocked by a white gate, and it's private now.

In April of 2001 I took pictures of those royal palms, as they were cold/frost burned by a severe radiational freeze on January 5, 2001. I need to find those photos, come to think of it.

Mad about palms

Nice palm Pietro! We call them Alabangs here, and they are all over the city as they easily hybridise (as you have found out). This one appears to have more 'bang' than 'Alexandra' in it's genes, looking at the trunk. 

Welcome to Palmtalk, and long time no speak!

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I wonder if Archontophoenix Maxima was originally some type of hybrid of the two. I only have one small Maxima but it seems faster growing and has long slender fronds like a Common King yet without ramenta and the solid green color of an Alex. Maybe its because it is still young and has not developed its unique features of the Maxima subspecies. Anyone in Australia know if either of the other subspecies grow in the Walsh River area with the Maxima palms or not?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018, 4:20:51, Walt said:

Just to clarify, I know you never said there weren't any royal palms in Labelle. I thought you said you didn't see any as you drove through the small town. I don't think there are any royal palms along Rt. 80 through Labelle.  As I recall, and dang, you must have taken that trip well over 5 years ago, maybe 10, so my memory is now vague. What I seem to recall is that you had expectations of seeing many royal palms in Labelle, and either you didn't see any or saw much less that you expected to see. And there aren't that many royal palms to see in Labelle. I recall you were posting frequently about your travels throughout Florida.

I didn't know you stopped at that little park near the draw bridge that crosses the Caloosahatchee River. The first time I ever crossed that bridge (coming in to Labelle from the north), I glanced to my right and saw many tall old royal palm crowns. It was like a magnet to me and I immediately drove over there to them. The royals partially line a short dead end road, which you could drive down, but some years ago the road was blocked by a white gate, and it's private now.

In April of 2001 I took pictures of those royal palms, as they were cold/frost burned by a severe radiational freeze on January 5, 2001. I need to find those photos, come to think of it.

All of Florida had a bad radiational freeze January 5, 2001. My place dropped to 22 degrees in the open yard. Ft. Myers Shores (inland from Ft. Myers) dropped into the high 20s. The below royal palms growing by BarronPark next to the Caloosahatchee River were burned. I took these photos in April of 2001.

Labelle royals 1.jpg

Labelle royals 2.jpg

Labelle royals 3.jpg

Labelle royals 4.jpg

Mad about palms